Thursday, February 7, 2008

So this is what TEFL is like.

Wow, my fist blog post, what a gas.
After spending some time in India and studying some more Buddhism, I decided to come to Thailand. I've been here since September, I think, and have gotten set up in Kamala. I got my TESOL/TEFL certification through TEFL Phuket and am now teaching and loving it here.

Teaching English to Thai people has been really wonderful so far. I haven't been doing too much teaching as I've got some other work on the side, but that is starting to pick up. The Thai people I've taught have been really enthusiastic about learning English, I think especially since it means a big jump in opportunities that get presented to them. There's a great amount of respect given to teachers as well, so all that combines for a pretty positive environment for learning.

The school I'm working for is helping with the logistics of getting a work permit, which is pretty handy. Right now I'm in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant B visa while the work permit is getting processed. It seems to be going smoothly, they do a lot of this here. Just make sure you have your i's dotted and t's crossed. After that I'll be full-time teaching English abroad! Howzat? :-)

No comments: