Saturday, February 16, 2008

Teaching English in Thailand

So far I've my teaching schedule has been pretty light, by choice. I'm working on some other business, so teaching has been a bit of a filler so far.

The students so far have been great. Very excited to learn, and they really like to have fun in class. Keeping things light and relaxed seems to make them more interested and enthused about the class.

So far all of my one-on-one Thai students have been female. I think especially in Phuket, many Thai women really want to meet farang (foreigners) men seeing them as their best option to step up the socio-economic ladder. There are also many parents interested in signing up their children for English classes. Learning English for them provides a lot of opportunity here.

I've noticed that the way English is normally taught by Thai people leads to what is called "Tinglish". Some language books regularly drop consonants in their transliteration from English to Thai. For example, one book's transliteration for 'housemaid' would be pronounced 'houmaid'. I think this is one of the reasons many Thais want to learn from native English speakers. American English seems to be the most in demand, as they view it as the accent/dialect most understandable by anyone who might speak English.

Here's where I got my TEFL/TESOL Certification:
TEFL Phuket
also check out:
TEFL Thailand
I help out at:
Kamala Language School

No comments: